Monday, September 16, 2013

The #131PreviewReview Welcomes Isaiyan Morrison Author of The Deamhan Chronicles.

 The 131 Preview Review Welcomes Isaiyan Morrison Author of The Deamhan Chronicles.

An avid gamer, writer, and lover of history, Isaiyan Morrison was born and raised in Minnesota. She moved to San Diego, California while in the Navy. After serving four years of active duty, she moved to Los Angeles.
Besides writing, she also likes to read, surf the internet, watch movies, and play video games. She likes warm drinks, pico de gallo, and her love for cilantro is legendary. At one point she was sponsored to participate in video game tournaments. During that time she traveled to Canada, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Caribbean. She now resides in Texas with her two cats, a pit bull dog, and two guinea pigs. Deamhan is her first novel.





                Good Morning Isaiyan! Welcome to The 131 Preview Interview!

Isaiyan: Good Morning! How are you?

               I'm bright eyed bushy tailed and have a coffee IV, so I'm very good! LOL You?

Isaiyan: I could be better. Had a migraine yesterday so I spent my day in bed watching TV, but I'm fine now!

              I feel you on the migraine, I get them frequently enough for medication need. But I'm glad you got through it and are good now!

Isaiyan: Oh my God, I use to have them bad, like to the point I couldn't do anything but sleep it off. Medication wouldn't help.
So I should consider myself lucky that they aren't as bad anymore

                I got a lucky mix. I would like to thank you for letting me read your work

Isaiyan: Thank YOU for reading it.

                You're very welcome; I haven't been able to finish it past the 131 but plan to.

Isaiyan: At the moment, I'm somewhat fighting with my publisher about changes. A few readers told me there were typos in the published novel. I thought they were kidding because, well, when I read it there weren't any.

But I saw them and I was pissed

I think they corrected some themselves and published it. I mean basic things that just didn't make any sense to me.
However, the readers told me the spelling didn't sway from the story so I guess that's fine. Yet still . . .

                I noticed a dropped letter here and there, but nothing I haven't seen a million times with Indy and traditional books.

Isaiyan: One typo pissed me off. "waist" instead of "waste" “waist can for example “ lol  But I'm glad you are enjoying it.

              Don't sweat the small stuff, perfect isn't always prefect. But I completely understand.

Isaiyan: Yeah, I believe first impressions matter so I wanted it to be perfect. But yes, nothing is perfect.
At least you're enjoying the novel so far.

              That I am. How is your blog tour going? I posted out about one so far, and will totally link to the upcoming ones; I skipped the one I couldn't actually find posted

Isaiyan: So far it's going great! Bewitching Book Tours is doing a fantastic job handling most of it. I've gained a few followers.

                 LOL! I'm working with Roxanne in October!! Small World!

Isaiyan: I'm not sure if any books were sold since the start. I don't want to know until the end of the tour.
She's fantastic! The price is worth it.
She's on you if you don't email your interviews to her in time.

              I went with the single week, as I've never actually done a tour before... (bad author... *smacks own hand*)

Isaiyan: I thought about just doing a week at first but I wasn't sure if it'd work for a book like mine.
I really feel that my book contributes something "new" to vampire literature (all authors think their books are "new")
But I honestly do think my book brings something new to the table

                 I really am enjoying it, and I like the Celtic roots.. (I'm a mickmutt)
So anything with Irish-ish roots intrigues me.


Isaiyan: Most readers don't know what "Deamhan" means. They think it's a new word I invented.

                Although I am at a loss for the phonetic pronunciation... My Gaelic *sucks

Isaiyan: I didn't want my novel to focus on just one historical background, if you know what I mean.
Most vampire characters are white and male. I wanted my vampires to represent every nationality.

                 So far so good.

Isaiyan: So in future books there are Asian vampires along with Native American (Choctow)
Well thank you! So you're going to finish the book?

              Yes...

Isaiyan: WOW. *does happy dance*

              *Smiles Broadly* I'd like to see just what trouble Veronica is going to get in to...

Isaiyan: I don't want to spoil it for you but she's in for a ride!

              I will admit it is a slow start, the first chapter was a wee bit to push through, but after that it picked up very nicely.
I like the tension between her Remy and Alexis.

Isaiyan: You're not the first person to say that. Yeah, it is a push.
But you are the first person to tell me that you like the tension between Remy and Alexis. Most readers (female) love Remy.

           And Murphy is fixing up to be a trip, but I really do want to see more from Sean...

Isaiyan: And I didn't make him out to be some sexy over glorified character
So you like Sean. Oh then you have to keep reading

                No, he's a bit of a bastard... Remy I mean

Isaiyan: I wanted him to be cocky, not sexy. So yeah, he is a bastard
It's weird that female readers think he's hot. Makes me think about what they'd consider a "good" male character.

             There's a lot to the men in this book, plenty of personalities to bounce to. I like the character development
Mostly... I think women just want a fuckable one

Isaiyan: I agree. I've said before, I don't mind romance but if the entire book is about who's fucking who then it's not my type of thing. I don't mind relationships, but vampires, to me, shouldn't stalk teenage girls or adult women for an entire book or book series

There has to be a balance of some sort. But I guess whatever tickles their fancy.
As for character development, each of my characters has their own personal folder filled with details. I try to make their personalities as distinct as possible.
I wish I could show you. Some files (like Anastasia's) are thick lol

            Well stalking is bad always but sometimes it helps.. LOL formula and all. HAhahaha!
I bet...

Isaiyan: Those books do sell. I just can't read them

                So you're a planner

Isaiyan: Yes. I like to plan and brainstorm
If the writing doesn't stick to my plan, I don't try to force it though. I go with it and later I adjust my plan.

               What's that like for you, I am more of a sparse outline blank page long hand writer

Isaiyan: It can be frustrating at times. I love planning out and working with different themes and plots. When I decide on one, I go for it.
But when it changes and I have to adjust it, that's when the headaches start.
With Deamhan, I feel like I have to give characters their own separate goals and they have to be important to the main plot.
And then there are times that I just write and I don't care about plots.

               I  love those times! The veering off into where was I land...

Isaiyan: I think the best ideas come from when you just let yourself go with no rules. You just write what comes to mind.
Both ways are important in my opinion. I don't like it when authors say that you have to plan to write a successful novel. It depends on what you're writing. Everyone is different.

                I do my best writing in my head with no notes and some lineless paper

Isaiyan: So you see your characters talking/walking ect, in your head before you write it down?

                  Oh yeah, they bitch and moan if I don't do what they want!

Isaiyan: Hahaha sometimes I see scenes like that in my head as well. Unfortunately, by the time I try to write them down, they float away.

             ALWAYS CARRY A NOTE BOOK OR USE THE MEMO THINGY IN YOUR CELL PHONE!!!

Isaiyan: I need to do that. The word pad/notebook thing on my phone is difficult to write on though.

                Well maybe you need to play with it more.

Isaiyan: Yeah, I'll probably start doing that.


                 So you mentioned your publisher, is it traditional, vanity?

Isaiyan: Indie.
Rainstorm Press is pretty small. Lyle Perez is the owner and he lives in California. The Press is going on three years I believe.
He wants to keep the press small. He doesn't want Rainstorm Press to turn into an author mill, if you know what I mean.

                 Yeah, I understand, I'm completely independent...
Well I use Amazon and Createspace...  I do my own edits and formatting
And spelling... LOL

Isaiyan: Lol. I think self publishing is a great thing. I want to self publish my novel I'm working on now

                  It's a lot of work, but if you want total control it's WORTH IT!

Isaiyan: I like how the author is in control. Now with that being said, this means that there are sooooo many books you have to wade through before finding the "perfect" self published book.
I'm seriously thinking about it.
The second book in the Deamhan Chronicles, I'll stick with the publisher. But this one that's a stand alone....self publish seems to be the right thing to do

               What's in store for Veronica and the remaining Deamhan? Will she be in the next story?

Isaiyan: ohhh well I just finished a small short story called Kei. Family Matters. This takes place right after Deamhan and before the second book.

                 Nice.. I like in between

Isaiyan: She's in the second book along with the other Deamhan however, the second book takes a drastic change.
Let's just say, her concern isn't as important as what's going on in the second book

                 Ohh.. Reallly ?

Isaiyan: Oh yeah. I can't tell you without revealing the end of Deamhan. But things get a little more serious in Minneapolis and suddenly, what happened to her mother is nothing compared to what might happen to the rest of them.

                What were your influencers/influences for writing the Deamhan Chronicles?

Isaiyan: Other authors?

                 If there are any, people, places... anything that inspires you for the work.

Isaiyan: Oh okay.
Ummm

                 I'll help you get started... The Club scenes are really awesome... Where did you pull that from, were you a club kid?

Isaiyan: Oh the club scene. That scene is a mixture of when I used to frequent the industrial scene in Los Angeles around 2005-2008
And a small club in Minneapolis I used to go to back in the late 90s called First Avenue
It wasn't all that "raunchy" but sometimes the L.A. clubs could get ridiculous.

                 Well adding immortals to the mix will bring on the Raunch.. LOL

Isaiyan: Oh yeah lol
The outside of the club is more of the Minneapolis club, the inside more L.A.

             I make a remark in the review that I can practically hear the industrial music thump.

Isaiyan: I love industrial music. The first time I wrote that scene I was listening to a song by Project Pitchfork.
I don't listen to music when I write but for that scene, it was like I had to.

              I have I-pod Playlists for all my works...

            I was going to ask if you listened to anything in particular, or in general what your writing environment is like?

Isaiyan: I don't have my own separate room, surrounded by bookcases filled with books lol. I wish.
My writing space is the corner of my room. My boyfriend sits on the other side.
I write during the day when he's at work so I can concentrate. My desk is cluttered, I have a few white boards on the wall to write down any ideas or anything important.
I wish I had my own writing room. That's what I really want

               I write in my own space, mostly at night, or anytime I can

Isaiyan: I used to like writing in coffee shops but that's too distracting

          So does the Boy friend influence you at all, when it comes to your male personalities?

Isaiyan: Oh he has no say in what I write. He hates reading actually. So unfortunately I can't pass any ideas to him. I wish I could.
The male personalities in the novel are from previous friends or people I've known in the past

Remy is like a mixture of my friend Adrian and another friend from high school, who was really mean to me
But the majority of the time, when it comes to creating a characters, I think about what type of character would fit in this novel or series. I try to make sure that each character doesn't step on another character's toes.

          So no mixing personalities.

Isaiyan: I try not to but it's hard. Eventually a character might have to step on another character's toes, so I don't rule out that possibility.
But for the most part, I don't like mixing personalities.

           Clashing can be a good thing Who do you prefer to read when your not writing?

Isaiyan: Oh, I thought you were referring to two characters with the same personality lol
I like clashing!

                I was

Isaiyan: Oh, okay gotcha.

               I sometimes see characters that are very similar, but it is not always a good thing
Sometimes it works though

Isaiyan: Similar characters might confuse me. That's why I had a hard time writing about the Brandy and Branda in the novel. I thought they were too similar. Yes, they're twins, but still I wanted them to be different. I still don't think I pulled it off the way I wanted it.
But as of who I like to read
other authors, I like Rice, King, Toni Morrison. My favorite is Jack Kerouac.

I LOVE Jack Kerouac.

             I noticed the Ricean undertone in the beginning, with TheBrotherhood immediately made me think of the Talamasca, but then it became something very different which I loved
I'm not really familiar with Kerouac, but he's on my list.

Isaiyan: 95% of "vampire" novels have some secret organization, right? lol. It's okay to have one, but it has to be different from the others.
Kerouac's On the Road is a great novel. But I personally love his novella, Tristessa.
His writing took me a little to get used to since it was written over 50 years ago. But in the end, I loved it

           I like the older writers, Poe, Twain, Austin, Shakespeare... Of course Rice

Isaiyan: I'm so tired of Shakespeare. Not because I don't think he was a great writer. They ram his works down the throats of kids in the public system. I think I read Romeo and Juliet in 7th-12th grade. EVERY YEAR. I was soooooo tired of him by then.

                  I hated R&J

Isaiyan: It's a lovely story. I just think people have pushed it way too hard. I was curious about his other works.
I'm currently in my last semester in college and this college loves their Silko
I've read her novel Ceremony twice already... I do not like that novel!  lol

               I'm not familiar with the author.

Isaiyan: She's Native American and her novels focus on Native American spirituality. Her writing just doesn't hit me.
It's like, no offense, novels written by those with a focus on race.
I don't mind them, but it's just not my thing.
Toni Morrison does that to an extent but her novels also focus on how the character perceives themselves to be.
More of a "look inside" yourself.

                  I'm looking to become more familiar with your work though, so you made mention that you have something on Kei, would you like to tell us a bit about that?

Isaiyan: That I don't mind. Oh yeah, I'd love to.

The story is about 14,000 words. It focuses on Kei and the aftermath of what occurred in Minneapolis.
Kei is now on the run and he travels south, back to a town to meet a friend of his past.
However, two Ancient Deamhans are tracking him and while he does meet with his friend, Nash, Kei is given the opportunity to rethink about the horrors he committed in the city.
I tried to explain as much as I could without giving away important events in the first novel, since you didn't finish reading it yet

                  HAhaha!! Well it sounds intriguing nonetheless!!

Isaiyan: Thanks!

                Thank you soo much for lending your time to us here at the 131 Preview Review!! We look forward to seeing what else you have in store for us!

Isaiyan: I want readers to enjoy these small tales, which will be free and available on my website. I aiming for a late November release.
Thank you so much! It was fun!

               Make sure to let me know when they go live, I'd love to work with you again!!

Isaiyan: Oh I will! And sorry for getting a little off track. I tend to do that at times

            No problem I love when an interview seems so casual! More natural that's the point to the live chat!!

Isaiyan: This was my first Facebook interview! Well, let me know when it goes live!

               Most assuredly!! I'll e-mail you the links in the morning! It'll be live by 5am.. ish

Isaiyan: Okay thank you so much! I'd love to do this again if you'd have me!

                  Certainly!

Well that's it my readers of the wee hours until next time do check out Isaiyan at the venues below and don't miss her on her Bewitching Book Tour!! Click here to be taken to my review of Deamhan. Comments always welcomed and encouraged!! 


Follow by Email

Labels

@AirickaPhoenix @ariana_erotica @ashleyfontainne @CCGenovese @JacintaMaree6 @jaycuttsbooks @JCReedAuthor @kcastronaro @MarianneSpitzer @shannonihayes @shannonihayes #GhostStories @VickiBatman & Lillian Hansen #131PreviewReview #131PreviewReview #WROTM #Author #CBT #Dark #ContemporaryRomance #eroticfun #Excerpt #firsttimes #IndyThursday #Kinkyfetish #MondayBlogs #MondayBlogs #131PreviewReview Welcomes Death By Haggis #Author Jay Cutts @shannonihayes @jaycuttsbooks #MondayBlogs 131 Preview Review Interviews Bliss #Author @brandonhalsey @shannonihayes #MondayBlogs The 131 PReview Review Presents #MondayBlogsThe #131PreviewReview #MondayBlogsThe #131PreviewReview Presents #WROTM VERLIEGE From Author Micheal Rivers @micheal_rivers @shannonihayes #Romance #Sexual Content #Spotlight #Spotlight #131PreviewReview Mocha #TeaserTuesday #TeaserTuesday The 131 Preview Review Presents Deceptive Outlaw @DawnWhite9 @shannonihayes #TwistedFairyTales #WriterWednesday #WriterWednesday The 131 Preview Review Presents His lullaby Baby @AirickaPhoenix @shannonihayes #Romance #WROTM 131 Preview Review Interviews 24/7 A Leopard's Path action AFTERSHOCK Airicka Phoenix Alexandra Anthony Amongst The Clouds: James And Syvok Adventure 4 and Murder From Author MaryAnn Kempher @shannonihayes @MaryAnnKempher Author Author Interviews Autumn Harvest: Maiden Autumn Harvest: Tales Battleborn BDSM bio-synthetic blood BLOOD TIES Book 1) Books Brandon Halsey Breathless (Death Viewers By Ashley Fontaine Candy Anne Little Carolyn Arnold CBT Cherokee Children's Books Chris C. Genovese Christine M. Butler Cinsearae S. comedy Contemporary Romance Cora Blu Cover Reveal D/s Dark Corridors Dark Primal Paranormal Romance David Edward Wagner Deamhan Death By Haggis Desecrated Beauty DHC DHC Series DnD Doreen McGettian DRAGONSHIFTER Dreams and screams bookaholics Dwarves Elves Eri Nelson erotic fantasy Erotic fun Erotic situations Erotica family Fantasy FBI feminism Fiction gender-identity Ghost stories Gothic Harley-Davidson interviews intrigue Isaiyan Morrison Istanbul Jay Cutts Killing Jenna Crane Kim Cresswell @kimcresswell Kinky Carnival Games Kristopher Lioudis L.J. Charles Leprechauns Lesbian Lia Davis Literary Fiction Love Maybe Mandy Mild Sexual content Moonlight Murder/Mystery Musick Nina Ceves NJ novella paranormal investigator Paranormal Romance Pegging philosophy Presents psychic Publishing Queer r #Promo racism Retribution reviews Roger Corman Romance Books S.I.Hayes satire Schiffer Publishing Sci-Fi science fiction secret agencies Serill Killers sexism Sexual Content shapshifters Short Story Compilation Smokey Mountain Ghost Trackers Solease M. Barner Soulless; The Immortal Gene Spotlight Stephen King Stripper Vampire strong female characters strong language Strong Sexual Content suspense T.J.Loveless tear jerkers Author Interviews Temporarily Employed The 13 Preview Review Presents The 131 Preview Review Presents The Devil’s Beauty The Lover's Surrende The ManicScribbler The Muppet Show The Walking Dead thriller Tof Eklund Transcending Darkness Trilogy Typos UK United Kingdom Valerie Lioudis Vampires Vicki Batman Vincent Price Virginia McKevitt Wendy Nystrom werewolves Will Van Stone Jr William Sawyers WIP Women's Lit Women's literary Fiction WROTM Zombie Strippers Zombies


The In Dreams... Series, The Roads Trilogy, is the accumulation of almost eight years of writing. Begun in 2006 after a D&D campaign

ended S.I.Hayes took the world and created the Unavoidable Road. It took five years as

Shannon spent many months at a time in an undiagnosed Bi-Polar fog.


In 2010, she finally found the help she needed and she has been writing feverishly ever since


The first book wast over 130,000 words, so she decided that it needed to be smaller if only tonot scare readers away form an unknown book that was so thick.


Thus the first trilogy was born.


In between she became the CoAuthor to Awakenings: The Wrath Saga, a Paranormal Drama likened to Big Brother Meets The Real World, of the Preternatural, Several blogs and her own website. S.I.Hayes.com.