Monday, April 20, 2015

#MondayBlogs The #131PreviewReview Welcomes Valerie & Kristopher Lioudis @NotUnamused @valeriebougher @shannonihayes Author's of AFTERSHOCK: A Collection Of Survivors Tales

The 131 Preview Review Welcomes 

Authors Valerie and Kristopher Lioudis




        Kristopher Lioudis is a South Jersey native who has always enjoyed reading, writing, and fighting crime in the dark of night dressed in his wife's underwear... (I feel I've said too much.) At any rate, Kris is in the process of posting many of his short stories to Smashwords.com and is also currently working on his second full-length novel, Don't Be a Hero, due late 2015 or 16, depending on how many children he has by the end of the summer with his wife who's in need of more lingerie. 
       
         Valerie like Kris is New Jersey born and bred. Meaning that while she speaks English as her first language, Sarcasm is a close second. She is a creative soul, that has interests in many things. Writing, is just one of her many loves, that also include, painting, crocheting, photography, singing, and of course, reading. The pair have six children ranging from a newborn to teenagers, which makes Valerie a master of multitasking. Parenting has help develop her sense of humor, and also the importance in  life for being prepared. Valerie has always valued the variety of experiences that can be gained by pursuing different activities, and being unafraid of new experiences. She is or has been a certified massage therapist, reiki master, balloon decorator, gorilla gram, studio photographer, pizza delivery driver, and stay at home mom.

            Life has so much to offer, and these two are always looking for the next big adventure!         

So this interview is a new venture for me, I've yet to do a multi-author one. Not that I'm opposed to them, just haven't had the opportunity. I had a great time with these two using the group chat through Facebook . So come settle in with us and have a laugh.

Let me Welcome you Officially to the 131 Preview Review Interview!!

Valerie 
Yay! Thanks for having us.
Kristopher 
Thank you Excited to be here

So first things first, I have to know what that Author Photo is all about!

Kristopher
Warrior Dash The year before we got married
Valerie
I forced him to jump over fire to prove his worth!

Haha!! I love it!
Kristopher 
Shes worth it
Valerie 
It was actually really fun. They let you crawl around in the mud. And by let you, I mean they charge you money to crawl in the mud. But they gave us hats and medals!


It looks like you guys had a really great time. Do you still get to do things like that now?

Kristopher 
Sure. Just throw the baby in a backpack and off we go
Valerie 
Sometimes. I am looking into the insane inflatables run for us this summer.

Hmm,it's very cool that you manage to do all of that and write with 6 kids!! How do you find the time?
Valerie 
I guess you just have to make time. We bring them along for most of the stuff.
Kristopher 
or we dose them with Benadryl and let them sleep in the car

That works too.

Valerie
Nice, baby. We do not dose the children. Plus, it wouldn't work on them anyway. They are all spazzy like their mom.
Kristopher 
lol true

I understand you are both born and bred in New Jersey, how's the weather out there? I'm kind of missing Connecticut.
Kristopher 
Winter is finally over so yay. Been nice the last couple of days

It seems to do nothing but rain in Ohio... Did your landscape do anything to help with writing Aftershock?
Kristopher 
Sure. most of it takes place in South Jersey where we are from
Valerie 
Absolutely. Most of the book is set around us. The island is a place where we go with the kids in the summer. The place the flyer leads to was our original zombie bug out place.
Kristopher 
You go with the kids in the summer. I don't go near LBI after Memorial day

Original Zombie Bug out place??
Valerie 
Everyone should have a place to go if the sh*# hits the fan. Now we need a new place because we told everyone.
Kristopher 
I've got a few others

Don't worry about censoring sweetie, I tend to say fuck a lot. My Blog is 17+ 

Kristopher 
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
Valerie 
Sweet! Fuckity fuck
Kristopher 
Now I feel better
Valerie 
Damn it! he beat me to it!
Kristopher 
just like in bed

So you are much like your characters, in the area of preparedness?

Kristopher
Pretty close Id say. Depends on which character. They all kind of came from different aspects of each of us. We don't have a stockpile of weapons, but we both agree its good to have a few things in place in case of trouble
Valerie 
His tend to have bigger potty mouths.
Kristopher 
Fuck yeah they do
Valerie 
Heck yeah, we do.  After the hurricane we learned what happens to those who don't prepare.
Kristopher 
Ahem... I was prepared before the storm
Valerie 
You were, but I wasn't. I didn't even know the damn thing was coming until 2 days before. 

You have a few characters with military training or backgrounds is that from one of you or the influence of having the bases around you? (I lived on a Mountain, no need to prepare)


Valerie
Not from me. My characters are the softer ones. That was why writing as a duo was great. He has one voice, I have another.
Kristopher 
I spent a brief time in the Army when I was younger. A lot of the lessons and the lingo just kind of stick around
Valerie 
Brief because he used to have a taking orders issue. Marriage fixed that!
Kristopher 
Third times a charm

LOL, I hear marriage is good like that I get the military thing. I got a brother 20+ years in. Even when he's home it's just there. Did you split the characters down, or divvy up by gender? As to who handled whom?

Kristopher 
We each came up with a few characters. We talked about major plot points and just sort of wrote around each character
Valerie 
Well, really it started with me writing a chapter. Then he sat down and wrote Daniel's first chapter as a joke. I loved it!
Kristopher 
That first line was probably some of my best work

It's a great opener!!! Well it lends each character a very distinctive voice. I worked with a partner for a long time and we use to actually talk out the character conversations. Did you find yourself doing that when your characters would cross paths?

Valerie
Absolutely. When we beta tested the only advice we got was to put him first.
Kristopher 
Max and the Rev are good examples. Val wrote Max and the Rev was one of mine. If a character crossed paths, we talked out what that character would do in a given situation with each other just so they would stay consistent. There wasn't much overlap in the first book though. Since everything is POV, consistency was really important. If Daniel was talking to Max, he had to be talking to Val's Max and vice versa. If that makes sense. 

Absolutely. I completely understand. You two must have had a great time, most of the time. But why in a market that is saturated in Zombies right now, did you decide to write something like Aftershock?
Valerie 
We did it because we enjoyed talking the situations out. If you enjoy something, you don't care if it is one of many. It became a thing that we did together. Something that was separate from raising kids, work, and daily nonsense. Then we finished it, and thought, let's publish.
Kristopher 
I've been a fan of the genre since I was 13. Had Val not started, I probably never would have, but its a subject I am very familiar with. Five or six years ago, I was the weird guy in the upstairs apartment preparing for Zombie Apocalypse.
Valerie 
Not me. I couldn't even watch scary movies before Kris was there to sit with me. I am a GIANT scaredy cat.
Kristopher 
Now everybody watches The Walking Dead and owns a machete.
Valerie 
Remember how I used to watch the first episodes. Mixture of face in your shoulder, and hands over eyes
Kristopher 
Then we'd have sex. Wait.. Can you edit that out lol
Valerie 
Six kids. I am sure people know.

You stuck it, I publish it!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Seems you two really complement each other! Both in life and work. That's great, I've enjoyed my time working with Will Van Stone Jr. it's sometimes harder when you don't have someone to be bouncing ideas off of.
Valerie 
We get along so well, it is kinda disgusting. We both came from really bad past relationships, so the bar was really low. It is weird when you find out what you were missing that whole time.
Kristopher 
It helps with the writers block
Valerie 
He got me started on book two just by starting himself. I can't let him do it alone!

That's sooo sweett...

Valerie 
Between bouts of sarcasm we can be gooey.
Kristopher
She has a great rack.
Valerie 
See what I mean!
He makes me laugh. That's important.
Kristopher 
What? Its true. You should see her dumper It would make a bishop kick out a stained glass window
Maybe I should just talk about the book...

The pic I have doesn't prove it, Kristopher. Remember pictures or it didn't happen... LOL

Valerie 
Not helping Shannon.

Butt...

Kristopher 
I still have the pic you sent while I was down in Jacksonville. Should I post it?
Valerie 
I am going to ban him from the computer.

Sorry, yeah about the book...... AFTERSHOCK....
Kristopher 
Then good luck figuring out how Ian gets back from Virginia  See how I brought it back around?
Valerie 
Do you finish the books after all this stuff is done?
Kristopher 
I was wondering that myself

If I have the entire manuscript and I liked the book. I was bummed when it stopped in the middle of finding out about test subject 64-03 <- I may be off there.

Valerie 
I will send you the rest. If you have time, have at it!
Kristopher 
He becomes a main character
Valerie 
Yeah, she probably wonders who Ian is...

Very cool, but don't kill it for me!! 
Kristopher 
Kristopher 
So they end up where the flyer is and its full of cannibals. Just like the Walking Dead

I wasn't kidding when I said that the story of Max and Rocky was heart-wrenching, I am glad he's not like "Carl" having to be looked after.

Valerie 
They do not!
Kristopher 
Max is pretty bad ass,! He was one of Val's
Valerie 
My thought with kids in this kind of situation, is they are either able to survive alone, or they don't. Even if they are with adults. They can't be dead weights, or they will be dead. That is why he is from a farm. He is used to hard work, and being on his own.

Yeah, he would be as an adult the fact that he's a 9 y/o makes it even better but it made sense, coming from the farm country he'd know how to shoot, camp, all the good stuff.

Valerie 
I liked writing from his perspective. He sees the world differently than an adult. He doesn't over think the situations. I see that as an asset.

And William another child, he came across a touch autistic, I thought that was interesting, most writers doing horror don't want to complicate things by having a real spectrum of characters.

Valerie 
That was all Kris. I thought it was brilliant.
Kristopher 
He's actually in his 20's.

I only had the one small chapter with him, so that's a surprise, but obviously for a reason.

Kristopher 
I thought it would be interesting to write from the perspective of somebody dealing with intensely complex emotional situations with a complete lack of emotions. I have know idea where that came from... He has a few more later in the book

What was your favorite scene that the other wrote? Other than the opener.

Valerie 
Damn it!  That was my pick!

HA! HA! HA ! No cheap repeat!

Kristopher 
I liked Wayne and not just because she mentioned me by name in that chapter. The chapter were Hannah gets killed. Its a completely heartbreaking moment that comes out of nowhere and I think Val did an amazing job writing it
Valerie 
Okay, the Rev's first chapter was intense. The way they went after his wife. the rage he felt. The questioning his faith. I loved it, and definitely could not have written it. That was the best part about writing together. He would take the story places I would never think to go.

Yeah, Hanna was unexpected, and the visual was right there in your head. I was like fuck me what, wait did they just.... Oy! Balls through the walls, that's what it's like to have a writing partner.

Kristopher 
Especially since she is very closely based on one of our daughters
Valerie 
It is so hard for me to write scenes like that. I am a people pleaser. I spend all day sweet and sugar, and then writing I have to kill people. It is painful. It was easy to make a visual when you have a real person to base it off of.

Yeah, I wondered about the kids int the book, seeing as you have them from baby to teen. You have plenty of research right here in front of you.

Kristopher 
Liam, would be awesome during Zombie Apocalypse
Valerie 
All of my characters are loosely based off of someone I have known. Even the adults. They are not exact copies, but they share some things.
Kristopher 
Hes our five year old and hes tough as shit
Valerie 
Yeah he would. He would bite zombies and they would become Liams.

You do realize shit isn't tough unless your a rabbit... LOL  But I get your meanings! LOL

Kristopher 
It's a local colloquialism
Valerie 
You and your big words.

I was gonna say that!!

Kristopher 
Fuckin' a

Pbtt!

Kristopher 
With all the profanity I have to prove that don't have a limited vocabulary
you should see me at board meetings

I've read the work, I now that you at least own a thesaurus. 

Valerie 
I doubt he used one. Me, on the other hand.
Kristopher 
I know at least 500 ways to use FUCK in a sentence

So you are working on the second..... Fuck is it's own sentence.

Valerie 
Wait! So do I! But that is a standard 6th grade lesson in NJ.

Yup, same in Connecticut

Kristopher 
We started it about a month or so ago. Once we started getting positive feedback about the first book. The biggest complaint we've gotten, other than the lack of geography, is about the ending
Valerie 
We had a really good brainstorming session the other day. I feel good about where we are going.

DON"T YOU DARE TELL ME

Valerie 
We won't. It is abrupt though. That is due to it being a series. Always leave them wanting more.

I love Google Maps in satellite for places I've never been, it helps a lot  As to geography

Kristopher 
I was referring to a specific review we got on [redacted for author & reviewer protection] Val knows which one,  we should have spent more time talking about the town's LOL
Valerie 
He doesn't like criticism he doesn't understand. Feedback should help you grow, not confuse.

You mean the idiot about the inste (<- reviewer spelling not mine) to towns?

Kristopher 
Yep. misused apostrophes are confusing
Valerie 
I hear even bad reviews are good. It shows your reviews are real.

LOL. I get ya, I usually type better, I need a manicure, my nails are too long right now and I keep hitting odd keys

Valerie 
not you, her
Kristopher 
not you, her

Valerie 
ha ha! beat you

Shannon Hayes
I know.
Valerie 
we are always like that
The word for word that is CREEPY


Kristopher 
we finish each other sandwiches all the time
Valerie 
that's what I was gonna say!

I'm guessing she starts and you snatch and dash?

Kristopher 
No I just wait patiently for her to be done.  Constantly asking "Are you done with that?" Helps.

I'm sure...
Oy I could ramble all night, can you give us some hints as to where the tales will be going in this second book?

Kristopher 
Everybody dies
wait

Well obviously

Kristopher 
We answer some pretty big questions. We came up with a bitchin' explanation about the zombies that I haven't seen done yet so I'm excited about that one

That will be something to look forward to. What do you think is the most fulfilling thing about writing a series, as opposed to a stand alone?

Valerie 
As a reader, I barely read stand alones. I read like most people watch Netflix. I will get all the books in the series out from the library at once and binge read. It only made sense to write a series because i want the story to go on forever!
Kristopher 
Its a bigger effort and a bigger reward. Before this I stuck mostly to short stories. This way we get more time to tell the story without expecting the reader to have to deal with a 250,000 word brick.
Valerie 
That is why the ending is abrupt. We set a word count goal, and a place we felt was logical to pause. Otherwise the book would never end.


Shhhh... My debut novel started out at 140,000.... Needless to say I broke it down. Cliffhangers are a great opportunity to piss off a reader in a good way! Another author I know +Eri Nelson is wonderful with the hangers! It's like cliff diving! Only you still have your clothes on and you weren't really sure if you wanted to, but now that you're in the water and cooled off and still alive you're not  so pissed you got tossed! 

Kristopher
At least not until the last vestiges of humanity lay dying and an unimaginable horde of the living dead roamed the earth searching in vain for another victim
That would make a good ending...
Valerie 
So optimistic Kristopher.
Kristopher 
I should write that down

Yeah until the weather took care of them. You just did write it down.

Kristopher 
lol

Do you guys work in relative silence or do you have a playlist of films or music you binge on when you write?

Kristopher 
What is this "silence" of which you speak?
Valerie 
I listen to the same 25 songs over and over. Drives Kris nuts. But that is a just in general kind of thing.
Kristopher 
I tend to write a lot at work while I'm on lunch. Or in bed just before lights out. The only real distraction is Val's butt. 

25 songs.... That's short. My playlists depending on the book range form 70-160 songs... But I don't sleep for days on end when I'm really writing.... Butts can do that!

Valerie 
I write when everyone is asleep. I have insomnia, so at least I can be productive.
I just factory reset my phone and I am freaking out! I have to find the time to download them again.

Oh no! That would make me nuts, thankfully I use my iTunes,  I have backups of backups.

Valerie 
It's really all over the map. I have Jack Johnson, Richard Cheese, songs from Chicago and Jesus Christ Superstar, Mucky pup, Bruno Mars and a few more.
Kristopher 
I have my Pandora station that I've been training for over ten years. I hate Bruno Mars
Valerie 
Of course you do.

DO you guys have anything you agree on musically or authorly? 
Kristopher 
Were both scratching our heads right now...  The guy form the Marc Maron show??? I think you mean Father John Misty


OY...

Valerie 
We read the same books. Well, I read the books he has already read.

Favorite authors and musicians?

Valerie 
He has a big bookshelf that I have been picking away at for a while now. +Stephen King, Issac Assimov, to name a few.
Kristopher 
She likes Chuck Palahniuk too
Valerie 
I was a huge Laurell K. Hamilton fan. Now, after the last few novels. Not so much.

Yeah I heard Hamilton went downhill fast

Kristopher 
Music: Rollins, Todd Snyder, Pantera Authors: Asimov, Palahniuk, and Tim Dorsey

I don't like King... Love his film adaptations but his writing style to me sucks. But that's me, most people love him.

Kristopher 
Did you read the Dark Tower series?
Valerie 
His endings piss me off. Tons of build up, then everyone dies.
Kristopher 
Worst ending ever

YES!  THAT'S IT..

Kristopher 
But then again, I've read it about a dozen times...  I just don't want him reading this and getting the wrong idea

I think that if he reads this I don't care how he feels about it. LOL I'd be pleased just to have him read it and comment. Even if it's just to say "You're wrong I am the greatest writer of the 20th and 21st century."

Valerie 
Seriously. That would be sweet!

I tag everything I talk about, so who knows.. LOL
Do you guys have anything you'd like to share that we haven't covered?

Valerie 
Yeah, we are going to be out and about at the Hamilton Mall on May 2nd for free comic day. Just in case anyone knows where that is. Come by and say Hello!
I am excited, it is going to be a nerdstraveganza! Since I am a giant nerd, it should be fun.

Oh That would be sweet. Too bad I'm so far way.

Kristopher 
Ohio isn't that far
Valerie 
I've driven further for ice cream.  Just kidding, I hate ice cream

HOW CAN YOU hATE ICEcREAM!!! '

Kristopher 
We talked about the characters, the writing process, teased the second book and I've managed to go the whole conversation without blurting out anything that could be misconstrued as racist... I think we're good


Smack

Valerie 
Kris loves that I hate it. More for him.  Seriously. He needs a muzzle sometimes.

Yay Ice Cream!

Kristopher 
I have no idea what that means...
Valerie 
This was really fun! I am so proud of Kristopher. He is really going outside of his comfort zone, You know, by talking to people.

It's a High Four!

Kristopher 
lol okay now it makes sense.  This was really fun. Thanks so much
Valerie 
Our cat Chuck Norris just jumped up on my head.


This is my only means of conversation most days so I know how that goes. 

Kristopher 
Segue of the year babe
Valerie 
I try. I went the whole time without being completely random. That is a big win for me. I am scatterbrained with the attention span of a fish.


You've earned your interview stripes with me. If you have an excerpt of the new book I wouldn't mind posting it for you. !!This has been great!

Kristopher 
The new book is in really rough draft mode right now but as soon as its ready well send it your way.

That would be great and when you finish it I would be glad to read it for the 131 Preview Review!! I hope you two have a great night!!

Kristopher 
You too. Take care

AND please don't forget to ship me along the rest of Aftershock, I'd love to finish it!

Valerie 
Awesome! I will send it your way! You have a great night too! 
I will email it now. Before I forget!

AWESOME!

 And if you want more awesome hit up the links below and get started reading Aftershock, A collection of survivor's tales!!  


Cheers!

LINKS:



Follow by Email

Labels

@AirickaPhoenix @ariana_erotica @ashleyfontainne @CCGenovese @JacintaMaree6 @jaycuttsbooks @JCReedAuthor @kcastronaro @MarianneSpitzer @shannonihayes @shannonihayes #GhostStories @VickiBatman & Lillian Hansen #131PreviewReview #131PreviewReview #WROTM #Author #CBT #Dark #ContemporaryRomance #eroticfun #Excerpt #firsttimes #IndyThursday #Kinkyfetish #MondayBlogs #MondayBlogs #131PreviewReview Welcomes Death By Haggis #Author Jay Cutts @shannonihayes @jaycuttsbooks #MondayBlogs 131 Preview Review Interviews Bliss #Author @brandonhalsey @shannonihayes #MondayBlogs The 131 PReview Review Presents #MondayBlogsThe #131PreviewReview #MondayBlogsThe #131PreviewReview Presents #WROTM VERLIEGE From Author Micheal Rivers @micheal_rivers @shannonihayes #Romance #Sexual Content #Spotlight #Spotlight #131PreviewReview Mocha #TeaserTuesday #TeaserTuesday The 131 Preview Review Presents Deceptive Outlaw @DawnWhite9 @shannonihayes #TwistedFairyTales #WriterWednesday #WriterWednesday The 131 Preview Review Presents His lullaby Baby @AirickaPhoenix @shannonihayes #Romance #WROTM 131 Preview Review Interviews 24/7 A Leopard's Path action AFTERSHOCK Airicka Phoenix Alexandra Anthony Amongst The Clouds: James And Syvok Adventure 4 and Murder From Author MaryAnn Kempher @shannonihayes @MaryAnnKempher Author Author Interviews Autumn Harvest: Maiden Autumn Harvest: Tales Battleborn BDSM bio-synthetic blood BLOOD TIES Book 1) Books Brandon Halsey Breathless (Death Viewers By Ashley Fontaine Candy Anne Little Carolyn Arnold CBT Cherokee Children's Books Chris C. Genovese Christine M. Butler Cinsearae S. comedy Contemporary Romance Cora Blu Cover Reveal D/s Dark Corridors Dark Primal Paranormal Romance David Edward Wagner Deamhan Death By Haggis Desecrated Beauty DHC DHC Series DnD Doreen McGettian DRAGONSHIFTER Dreams and screams bookaholics Dwarves Elves Eri Nelson erotic fantasy Erotic fun Erotic situations Erotica family Fantasy FBI feminism Fiction gender-identity Ghost stories Gothic Harley-Davidson interviews intrigue Isaiyan Morrison Istanbul Jay Cutts Killing Jenna Crane Kim Cresswell @kimcresswell Kinky Carnival Games Kristopher Lioudis L.J. Charles Leprechauns Lesbian Lia Davis Literary Fiction Love Maybe Mandy Mild Sexual content Moonlight Murder/Mystery Musick Nina Ceves NJ novella paranormal investigator Paranormal Romance Pegging philosophy Presents psychic Publishing Queer r #Promo racism Retribution reviews Roger Corman Romance Books S.I.Hayes satire Schiffer Publishing Sci-Fi science fiction secret agencies Serill Killers sexism Sexual Content shapshifters Short Story Compilation Smokey Mountain Ghost Trackers Solease M. Barner Soulless; The Immortal Gene Spotlight Stephen King Stripper Vampire strong female characters strong language Strong Sexual Content suspense T.J.Loveless tear jerkers Author Interviews Temporarily Employed The 13 Preview Review Presents The 131 Preview Review Presents The Devil’s Beauty The Lover's Surrende The ManicScribbler The Muppet Show The Walking Dead thriller Tof Eklund Transcending Darkness Trilogy Typos UK United Kingdom Valerie Lioudis Vampires Vicki Batman Vincent Price Virginia McKevitt Wendy Nystrom werewolves Will Van Stone Jr William Sawyers WIP Women's Lit Women's literary Fiction WROTM Zombie Strippers Zombies


The In Dreams... Series, The Roads Trilogy, is the accumulation of almost eight years of writing. Begun in 2006 after a D&D campaign

ended S.I.Hayes took the world and created the Unavoidable Road. It took five years as

Shannon spent many months at a time in an undiagnosed Bi-Polar fog.


In 2010, she finally found the help she needed and she has been writing feverishly ever since


The first book wast over 130,000 words, so she decided that it needed to be smaller if only tonot scare readers away form an unknown book that was so thick.


Thus the first trilogy was born.


In between she became the CoAuthor to Awakenings: The Wrath Saga, a Paranormal Drama likened to Big Brother Meets The Real World, of the Preternatural, Several blogs and her own website. S.I.Hayes.com.